Are You Looking for Legal Guidance You Can Trust? Put My Experience On Your Side

Adjustment of Status for Parents of U.S. Citizens Attorney in Dallas, Texas

If you are a parent of a U.S. citizen, you may have a chance to obtain a green card through the process known as an “adjustment of status” (AOS). If you are eligible to adjust your status through your U.S. citizen child, you can live and work legally in the United States.  

As an immigration attorney, I provide legal representation and assist parents of U.S. citizens with an adjustment of status and other immigration matters. At M Mathew Law Firm, PLLC, I am dedicated to providing clients with compassionate legal representation and guiding them through the complicated procedures involved in AOS for parents of U.S. citizens. From my office in Dallas, Texas, I handle adjustment of status cases throughout the state, including Irving, Richardson, Garland, Lewisville, Mesquite, Farmers Branch, and Grand Prairie.

Ready to Move Forward?

Contact Me

What Is the Adjustment of Status for Parents of U.S. Citizens?  

Not all parents of U.S. citizens are eligible to file for an adjustment of status. As a parent, you must meet the following eligibility requirements to adjust your status: 

  • Your son or daughter is a U.S. citizen; 

  • Your child is at least 21 years of age;  

  • You can prove that you entered the U.S. lawfully (you were inspected and admitted at the point of entry); 

  • Your criminal record does not have crimes that would make you inadmissible to the U.S.; and 

  • You are physically present in the United States at the time of filing for an adjustment of status.  

Adjustment of status is an option only for those who are currently in the United States on a valid visa. As a parent of a U.S. citizen, you can adjust your status as an “immediate relative” if you meet the above-mentioned eligibility requirements. When you file for an adjustment of status, you will be allowed to remain in the U.S. for as long as your application is being processed.  

However, parents of U.S. citizens living outside the U.S. cannot get a green card through an adjustment of status. Instead, they can apply for a green card through what is known as “consular processing.”  

Who Is Not Eligible for Adjustment of Status? 

You are not eligible for an adjustment of status if any of the following is true: 

  • You are not physically present in the U.S.;  

  • You do not have a valid immigration status;  

  • You entered the country unlawfully; 

  • You are subjected to ongoing deportation proceedings; or 

  • You entered the country in transit without a valid visa.  

There are several other conditions that may make you ineligible to adjust your status, even if you are a parent of a U.S. citizen. Discuss your particular situation with a knowledgeable immigration attorney to help you determine your eligibility for an AOS.  

The Process to Adjust Status  

The process of adjusting your status as a parent of a U.S. citizen involves the following steps: 

  1. Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements. 

  1. Have your child file the appropriate petition to begin the procedure.  

  1. Wait for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to grant the petition (this could take from a few months to over a year).  

  1. File an application to adjust your status once your visa becomes available.  

  1. Attend a biometrics appointment scheduled by USCIS.  

  1. If requested, submit additional documentation.  

  1. If required, attend an in-person adjustment of status interview.  

  1. Wait for the official decision that either grants or denies your application for an adjustment of status.  

The adjustment of status process can be complicated and difficult to navigate. Everyone’s situation is different, which is why there is no one-size-fits-all approach to immigration law. At M Mathew Law Firm, PLLC, I help parents and other immediate relatives of U.S. citizens navigate AOS procedures and provide them with reliable advice every step of the way.

Adjustment of Status for Parents of U.S. Citizens Attorney in Dallas, Texas

Obtaining a green card through an adjustment of status can be a long and complicated journey, even if you are a parent of a U.S. citizen. As adjustment of status attorney Kavi Mathew at M Mathew Law Firm, PLLC, I serve clients in Dallas, Texas, and throughout the state. If you want to get started on your application, schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your case.